Thursday, March 7, 2013

It's Scabies...



"Grace is but Glory begun, and Glory is but Grace perfected." -Jonathan Edwards

"God will not turn away from doing you good. He will keep on doing good. He doesn't do good to His children sometimes and bad to them other times. He keeps on doing good and He never will stop doing good for ten thousand ages of ages. When things are going bad that does not mean God has stopped doing good. It means He is shifting things around to get them in place for more good, if you will go on loving Him." -John Piper

"And the LORD said, “Do you do well to be angry?" -Jonah 4:4

Scabies.  He’s got scabies.  That red itchy rash that has been plaguing him since November and slowly spreading over every inch of flesh is scabies.  Mites burrowing themselves deep.  Multiplying and multiplying.  And I’m furious.  How can it take so long to diagnose a person with this?  A skin condition that is common in areas with communal living.  Should be a no brainer.  

Let’s consider the infuriating circumstances…maybe because it takes him weeks to get into see a physician when he has a medical need…maybe because the medical staff is completely inept and incapable…or maybe because they don’t give a flying flip what happens to the souls that are in their care and trust.  

And if they can’t even diagnose something so common in these type of living conditions and somewhat obvious in symptoms…do you think they’ll ever correctly prescribe and fulfill the meds his highly trained doctors and surgeons who specialize in heart disease have said it is PERTINENT for him to take in order to stay alive?  Because they still haven’t...and they’ve been given his medical records so all they have to do is READ.

And then the treatment for these parasites.  They gave him cream to rub over his whole body.  He lathers up and a couple hours later his skin is ON FIRE.  A reaction in which he’s suppose to seek immediate attention from a doctor.  A doctor that takes weeks to get into see.  So yesterday he calls me in tears and unbearable pain and there’s nowhere to go but wait.  And I call the prison and talk to his counselor who says there’s nothing he can really do.  

I feel so helpless and outraged.  Anger circles my heart.  Like a lion stalking prey.  Waiting to devour.  And in the name of “justice” I want to concur.  I want to feast on the wrongness of it all.  But I know the dangers lurking.  Flirt with the beast and my whole spirit will be aflame.  And fire burns.  It destroys.  

I need Grace.  Rains of blessing and heart medicine.  And today…I hunt for it…and I'll contend with the anger predator in pursuit.  I’m going to have to put out the smoldering embers of a victim’s cry to hear Truth.  And bend my knees and bow my head…and cry out for Grace.

To lay down my worthless arsenal of loaded words and self-righteous claims and surrender.  And empty out poison and drink in Life.  Because I know the path of rage.  I’ve walked on it far too many times.  And destruction is always the destination.  And self-righteousness is the great allurer.  Deceiving and blinding.  I become all knowing and quick to judge and quick to question God.  And when He doesn’t grant my wishes, because I’ve reduced him to a genie, I’m indignant.  A great trap.  Right into bondage hell.

The last few weeks have been tense in our home.  Everyone’s been sick.  Four adults and six kids.  Virus after virus circulating around.  Lack of sleep, aches and fevers, disrupted schedules and quarantined quarters .  And my heart longs for comfort.  Above all else.  What can I do to feel better to make my children better?  And I take my eyes off the Grace giver.  Because I want immediate relief.  And there’s a subtle shift in my heart that I don’t even realize.  

And what happens is that anyone and anything causing any kind of discomfort or discord becomes an enemy.  Out to sabotage my mission.  My quest for relief.  And so all kinds of darkness seep in and entangle and though my body starts to feel better…my heart is a mess.  And I feel it and know it and I grieve.  

Grace is the antidote to all.  And It begins with humility.  A heart that confesses its absolute dependence on God.  Self…seen in true light and Glory’s shadow.   And life and passion and strength come thru belief.  When I believe He is good and working and loves me and is redeeming and restoring and saving… peace is present and hope abundant and Grace is blossoming joy.  Even in the black grueling nights of the soul.  Because He says that “you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free” -John 8:32.  

I am not all-knowing or even probably a-little-bit-a-knowing compared to the vast knowledge of a Sovereign God.   And I wear myself out with all the fear and angst and indignation I romance through my desire to control and command.  

But Sweet Grace.  Come heal my broken heart.  Wash away the filth and the grime and harvest life and fruit and beauty.  Forgive my lack of trust in Your precious love and faithfulness.   May I seek You above all else…as all else will fail me.  Let me drink Your living water for you say “whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life”-John 4:14.  Jesus.  Truth.  Grace.  Freedom.


Your Prayers:

Thankful that your prayers were answered!  That they did finally have a correct diagnosis for his rash and that he is being treated.  May take up to 4 weeks for complete relief and he still has to put the cream on one more time so please pray for a less severe reaction this next time around.  And as scabies is very contagious, that there is no recurrence due to any other individuals affected by the mite.  



1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry you are all suffering so much. I too am suffering and your words just touch my heart deeply. Your encouraging words just keep reinforcing me to trust God in all things, especially the difficult ones that almost make you lose your mind. we have to keep our eyes on HIM, which HE has told me time and time again.

    ReplyDelete